What are your favourite small shops? A question we get asked a lot! Here are some of mine and Savannah from That Caffeinated Mom favourite small shops from clothing to subscription boxes.
Hey, friends. Mandy here! I’m one half of the Simple Caffeinated Small Shops List. I’ve teamed up with Savannah from That Caffeinated Mom to answer a question we’re both asked all the time: “What are your favourite small shops?”
With having so many favorites it became a harder question to simply answer, so we put our heads together and curated a list of small shops that are among our favorites, from clothing to skin care, snacks to accessories. The list is long and detailed but we can promise you well worth the read!
About Me and Savannah
Savannah and I connected this year over Instagram and found an instant connection. Since then as mamas to 6 (almost 7) littles combine, our friendship has become uplifting and supportive knowing that motherhood is flippin hard.
One of the many things we connected about was our mutual love for supporting small shops and eco-conscious companies. We both wholeheartedly believe in what that means for other mamas, for our environment, and for our wallets. There is value in quality over quantity.
What to expect from The Simply Caffeinated Small Shops List
Let’s start by sharing this is not a complete. We truly could have gone on forever. There are so many incredible small shops.
We created a legend to make it easy peasy for you to learn at a glance about the small shops. Here is a breakdown of what you’ll see for each shop
We brainstormed shops that we loved in categories that were important to us. Savannah is incredibly passionate about clothing and shoes. I sing like a canary when it comes to skincare and food. So, we each focused on those categories we were knowledgeable in. For our favourite clothing, shoes, and accessory small shops head over to That Caffeinated Mom.
If you’re ready to dig into skincare and clean beauty, food, home, and subscription boxes let’s get going.
Clean Skincare & Beauty
Buck Naked Soap Company
$ CAD ETH
Buck Naked Soap Company handcrafts a full line of all natural, vegan skin care products free from chemicals and is unwavering about this: if you can’t eat it, they won’t use it. When Rina’s infant son started reacting to traditional bath products, she made her own. As others started to like her products it grew into business.
- Where possible, materials are sourced locally but also internationally from companies with social, economic, and environmental sustainability efforts
- Products are manufactured in Cambridge, ON
Cardea AuSet creates plant-based beauty and wellness products that promote relaxation and reinvigoration, named after two powerful goddesses. Taylor & Jennifer, founders of Cardeau AuSet, were unhappy with the beauty and wellness industry’s standards for ingredients and practices. They now create super-clean, highly effective products. In addition, Taylor & Jennifer strive to foster collaboration and community for like-minded creatives.
$$ CAD GREEN
Consonant Skincare is Canada’s leading line of premium skin care products that are 100% natural. Bill Baker, founder of Consonant, was inspired by the incredible improvement he saw in his own skin after trying natural, homemade products from a co-worker, and was able to stop taking prescription corticosteroids and his contact dermatitis cleared up. He and VP Kristina brought natural skincare products into the mainstream and now a wide range of 100% natural, clinically proven skin care products that are safe for all skin types and scientifically proven to provide results. In addition to healthy skin care products, Consonant promotes leading a healthier life though yoga classes, seminars, run clubs and free workshops.
- Where possible, ingredients are sourced close to home but in order to use the best ingredients they are sourced all over the world
- All products are made in Toronto, ON
- Ingredients are sourced from renewable resources to decrease the impact on the earth and the ‘dirty dozen’ hotlist ingredients are never used because of negative effects on human health and our ecosystem
- A new recycling program has been launched and Consonant has partnered with TerraCycle to recycle mixed plastic components
elate clean cosmetics
$$ CAD ETH GREEN
Elate Cosmetics came to Melodie Reynolds, CEO, when she recognized how much plastic a single tube of lipstick produced. The top priority at Elate is ethical practices and ingredients, ensuring that every person involved in making their cosmetics are treated ethically. Elate Cosmetics values community and is motivated by those helping them change the future of the cosmetic industry.
- Ingredients are sourced from companies around the world that are fair trade and as organic as possible
- Products are created and tested in Victoria, BC
- The goal is to be a waste-free beauty company, using bamboo and seed paper packaging that are compostable and in-store displays are made of recycled chopsticks collected from airports, malls, and restaurants.
essentials by nature
$ CAD GREEN
Essentials by Nature is a handcrafted, natural skincare company made from essential oils and plant-based ingredients and free from chemicals, parabens, dyes, synthetic fragrance, sulphates and formaldehyde. Jill, founder of Essentials by Nature, started out making natural products around her home and for her family until her business grew organically. Her motivations was her two daughters and creating a healthier, safer environment for them. Essentials by Nature is more than a natural product company, it’s a way of life, where promoting healthy living is just as important as the products.
- Wherever possible, ingredients are sourced from Canadian companies
- All products are handcrafted in small batches in Edmonton, AB
- Essentials by Nature has a recycling program for customers to return bottles for a discount code and gift
garden city essentials
$$ CAD GREEN
Garden City Essentials is a Niagara, ON based wellness, beauty, and lifestyle boutique, including a small batch product line. Jolene, founder of GCE, began researching and formulating natural skincare products with botanicals, clays and oils as part of her journey to lead a healthier lifestyle and get to the root cause of her auto-immune thyroid disease.
- GCE small batch products are bottled in glass containers that can be refilled to reduce waste
- GCE carries a wide variety of zero waste and refillable products
$$ CAD ETH GREEN
K’pure is a wide range of organic and minimalistic skin care products. Karen started making promotional lip balms and body scrubs for the gym she was running when she discovered a passion for skin care. She had been making her own deodorant for quite a long time after she had discovered her exclusively breast fed son had a high amount of aluminum and plastics in his system, which turned out to be from Karens over the counter store bought deodorant. That discovery led Karen down the path of perfecting her own natural deodorant which is now a featured product of K’pure. K’pure’s products are intended to be multiple purposed making the products perfect for everyone for their own reasons. For example; the popular ‘Sleepy Time’ baby wash is also a perfect face wash. From the ‘Over Achiever’ salve to the ‘Dry Clean’ hand sanitizer K’pure has you covered for natural and safe skin care.
- All ingredients are sourced in North America (choosing the organic option wherever possible).
- All products are manufactured in Mission, British Columbia.
- Products come in amber coloured glass bottles or tins to help eliminate plastic.
- Started a pilot program with local stocklists to take back and reuse their empty glass bottles and jars.
moyaa shea butter
$ CAD ETH GREEN
Moyaa Shea Products are made with Grade A organic, cold-pressed, unrefined, & 100% pure fair trade Ugandan shea butter.
- Moyaa maintains ethical business goals ensuring that farmer from the Pader area of Uganda are provided with good working conditions, fair payment and equality
- Moyaa ensures sustainable harvesting of the Shea Nut Tree for all its Shea butter and uses recyclable material for packaging.
Amelia suffers from dry, red skin on her cheeks and hands that will crack. Unscented Moyaa Shea butter is the only product that completely eliminates her symptoms and prevents it from occurring.
$ CAD GREEN
NIU Body brings you 100% natural skincare products that are research supported and still affordable. All products are 100% plant-derived, with no artificial ingredients, are vegan, certified cruelty-free, and driven by science so they are effective.
- Premium, sustainable ingredients are sourced from around the globe
- Products come in recyclable packaging to lessen environmental impact
$$ CAD ETH GREEN
SO Luxury is an incredible “no nasties” skin care line for the whole family. Amanda started SO Luxury accidentally when she started making their signature ‘Coco Oat Milk Bath’ when her son was a baby suffering from eczema. After gifting it to some friends and having such positive feedback she started selling it under the name Bebe de Lux. About two years later the brand has grown beyond Amanda’s capacity, so she and her best friend Shyla partnered up and rebranded under the name SO Luxury. (SO meaning Luxury in Irish, their joint heritage). SO Luxury now has over 25 products with “no nasties”, meaning organic and real ingredients in each of their products without any chemicals or “nasties”. Not only are all of SO Luxury’s products exactly that…luxurious and a delight to use, but their Coco Oat has become a go to for so many suffering from eczema or skin irritations. SO Luxury is an incredibly option for a treat yourself spa day or just some of your daily skin care needs.
Savannah’s son Mason was able to get off of all topical steroids for his eczema. I only use the Coco Oat bath with Amelia who has extremely dry and sensitive skin which has elevated her irritations.
- Their coconut milk is sourced from an organic certified supplier in Vietnam (as coconut milk isn’t native to North America it must be sourced overseas).
- All of their oats are sourced locally.
- All products are manufactured in Mission, British Columbia.
For the Home
$ CAD GREEN
Colibri Canada creates Canadian made snack & wet bags, silicone straws & wash clothes helping to define the landscape of reusable household products. Founders Sandra and Lori started out sewing baby slings for friend but switched gears and spread zero waste love. Colibri products have over 30 fun prints and are now in over 1,000 locations across Canada, have an online retail store and run a fundraising program for schools and sports groups.
- Materials are sourced all over the map and use local Canadian designers from Manitoba
- All products are made in Canada
- Their reusable products focus on sustainability replacing single use plastics like zip-lock bags and plastic straws
Mind Your Bees Wraps
$ CAD GREEN
Mind Your Bees wraps are zero waste, eco friendly food storage alternatives made in Canada. Beautifully handmade, easy to use and keeps food fresh longer. Most importantly, beeswax wraps reduce food and plastic waste.
Oneberrie creates smart, stylish, and simple bath luxuries for littles. When Sue-Rose became a mother the engineer in her knew there had to be a better way to take a baby out of the tub. The original hands free towel was born. The Bare.Bundle is the ONLY towel that transitions as baby grows from newborn to infant to toddler, and beyond! Oneberrie has grown from a handmade mom shop to a national brands with a simple idea, proving dreams do come true!
- Fabric is sourced through a woman managed company in Twain that prioritizes the environment and their staff
- All products are manufactured in Canada
- Supporting women is a HUGE focus for Oneberrie – seamstresses, partners and businesses that Oneberrie works with are mostly women owned and run.
the wooden elephant
The Wooden Elephant is a small family run scroll saw art business based in Niagara, ON specializing in name rounds and home decor. Sam and Cassie, a husband and wife team, started their business when their daughter Ella was born after creating décor for her nursery. With a love of supporting handmade shops and being on maternity leave it was an amazing opportunity to start their own handmade shop. Each and every piece from The Wooden Elephant is handmade.
- Most materials are sourced from hardware stores as well as a small wood company based in Niagara called The Wood Shed
- All products are handmade by Sam and Cassie in their home – each individual piece is cut using a scroll saw, sanded, painted, stained, or sewn for felt mobiles and assembled by hand.
- Sam and Cassie try to not waste materials using scrape wood to cut smaller pieces for other signs and making herringbone signs which use left over wood to make the backing for other signs. Scrap fabric is sewn to make quilt type pieces and used to in other mobiles to add pattern and detail.
white terry home
$$$$ CAD ETH GREEN
White Terry Home bedding is made with the highest quality organic materials to create a superior sleep experience. Nicole, founder of White Terry Home, knew the value of quality sleep as a tired mama of two. Her focus was to provide amazing quality bedding for the perfect night’s sleep.
- All bedding is made with organic cotton which reduces the environmental impact using less water, preventing soil erosion and polluting water with poisonous chemicals
- Using organic cotton protects works from exposure to pesticides and chemicals
Food & Drink
$ CAD GREEN
Chickapea Pasta provides a nutritious, convenient, and familiar meal option for families dealing with time constraints, picky eaters, and allergies. Made with organic chickpeas that is packed with protein, fibre, and iron and also tasty.
- By choosing organic, plant-based proteins, Chickapea is helping to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, eliminate soil and water contamination, reduce deforestation, clean the air, conserve biodiversity and preserve local wildlife—including honeybees.
Delicacies creates delicious organic, vegan candy and confection to bring a little bit of happiness. Brooke and Dela, a mother daughter team, started Delicacies to spend more time together and building on Dela’s passion for being in the kitchen and sharing that with her daughter. Noticing how many candy companies use animal products and unnecessary chemicals they knew they could create a more delicious products with ingredients that are better for you. Delicacies is about sharing something specials together, like Dela and Brooke do.
- Materials are all organic and sourced throughout North America for the highest quality
- All lollipops are handcrafted and never mass produced
$ CAD GREEN
Fatso is a happy medium between the delicious, classic peanut butter we grew up loving and the fancy, overpriced nut butters of today. Jill, founder of Fatso, wanted to provide a nut butter that was more nutrient dense, taster and more affordable than almond or cashew butters. Fatso is loaded with healthy fats and fiber, familiar peanut butter taste, and chia seeds. Focusing on peanut butter allows Fatso to stay sustainable and affordable. Fatso aims to keep health food accessible choosing to source high quality non-GMO peanuts they are able to offer a nutrient dense peanut butter to at a more affordable price than other nut butters.
- Peanuts are sourced from Georgia, South Carolina, and Virginia while other ingredients like coconut oil and chia seeds are sounded globally. Fatso’s flaxseed is sourced in Canada!
- Products are manufactured in Atlantic Canada.
Peanuts are highly underrated as a sustainable products requiring little water, are not labour intensive and provide crop diversification – refocusing on crops that promote sustainability and environments balance are important for food an environmental safety
$$ CAD GREEN
Living Apothecary is a Toronto-based therapeutic tea line providing organic, loose leaf, premium teas. Kara, founder of Living Apothecary, started making her own herbal blends to help with sleep while studying naturopathic medicine and experiencing burn outs, anxiety, and restless sleep. Recognizing there was no loose leaf, organic tea brand made by a woman and a naturopath she saw an opportunity to help others the way plant medicine had helped her. That’s a dream come true for her! Stay tuned for the Fall/Winter line when Living Apothecary will be releasing a new line to ‘enhance’ current blends.
- All suppliers are from Ontario whose selection Kara trusts
- Blends are formulated and blended in Ontario – some packaging and accessories come from outside of Canada to align with sustainability practices
- Living Apothecary shifted to larger, glass amber jars to reduce reordering and their carbon footprint when it comes to shipping. Kara encourages reusing the jars and has launched a refill program online where refills come in a compostable kraft bag and compostable mailer.
love child organics
$ CAD GREEN
Love Child Organics is a Canadian company founded by parents bringing fellow parents delicious, nutritious, and organic food for babies and young children. Leah and John, founders of Love Child Organics, learned when they welcomed their first child that most of the ‘organic’ baby food and children’s snack products contained unnecessary additives that were certainly not ‘real food’ and too often, also contained empty ‘filler’ ingredients that provided little nutritional value. With Leah’s recipes from feeding her own children, Love Child Organics brings truly honest, pure and delicious organic food that would include as many nutritionally-rich ingredients as possible.
- Most products are produced in Canada and, when possible, from ingredients sourced in North America. Organic quinoa is sourced from companies that work in partnership with family-run farms and that are committed to environmental protection, Fair Trade, and poverty reduction.
- Love Child Organics prides itself on being as environmentally sustainable as possible, from the use of low carbon packaging to minimizing the carbon footprint of the Love Child HQ.
$ CAD GREEN
Prana Organics is a Montreal based company producing 100% organic snacks and ingredients. Alon & Marie-Josee, founders of Prana, were inspired by their time travelling to India and began roasting nuts and mixing up tasty treats. They committed to organic-certified ingredients knowing the value in eating healthy and protecting the environment.
- Prana obtained its B Corp certification which recognizes businesses from all industries that have a positive impact on the environment and on their workers, customers and community
Rawcology offers a wide range of organic, nutritious plant powered superfood granolas and coconut chips that are free from the top 11 allergens. Tara, founder of Rawcology, built her company out of her own experience with anxiety and fatigue knowing she needed to make a change to her lifestyle. To preserve nutrient quality snacks are at low temperature making Rawcology coconut chips and granola a delicious way to consume a rich source of vitamins, minerals, fibre and healthy fats. Tara wants to She wanted to reinvent the standard of packaged foods with snacks that maximize taste and nutrition while preserving our dear mama earth.
- The highest quality organic ingredients are sourced with minimal impact on the environment
$$ CAD GREEN
Sproos is a Canadian company providing enhanced collagen supplements to support gut-health and wellbeing. Sproos was born out the personal health journey of founder Leah. She and her husband John, the duo being Love Child Organics, became frustrated with the natural health supplement options available with confusing labels and big price tags for little return. Sproos provide a simple, natural, and functional way to get proactive about personal health.
- Ingredients are ingredients are non-GMO, and organic whenever possible
- Sproos opts for grass-fed animals and wild-caught fish, and packaging that is recyclable and BPA-free to protect the environment
I Live eco
$$$$ CAD GREEN
Each season, the I LIVE ECO Box contains eight full sized products curated to help you start (or continue) living a more eco-friendly life
Each month, myteabox.ca will send a box contains everything you need for a delightful tea experience including a selection of three delicious blends of loose leaf tea and a heart-shaped steeper in your first box.
Naked Snacks deliveries nutritious and delicious snacks right to your door. Each snack follows the 80/20 rule: 80% whole grown goodness, 20% reward for making smart decisions. Healthy snacking options you can trust, without sacrificing taste.
Tasu is a quarterly self-care and wellness box with a collection of that seasons finest skincare, aromatherapy and other wellness items.
the balanced snack box
The Balanced Snack Box is a Canadian subscription box delivering full-size, healthy snacks to your door every month including Gluten-Free, Vegan, Nut-Free or Keto-Friendly boxes or a Mini Snacker option.
the detox box
The Detox Box ships monthly featuring one green beauty brand valued at $110.
The Gift Refinery
$$ CAD GREEN
The Gift Refinery began as a modern take of gift boxes & baskets and a love of Canadian artisans and businesses. Jessica, the founder of TGR wanted to offer Canadian women the best of the best of what Canada has to offer through a season subscription box. Each box features 7-10 luxury lifestyle products from Canadian brands and artisans delivered right to your doorstep. The pillars of TGR are curated, conscious, and Canadian.
- Featured products are source from Canadian businesses and artisans from coast to coast
- Wherever possible, products in TGR box are designed and manufactured in Canada
- Each box is printed in Ontario with spring-fill and tissue paper purchased from Canadian companies and all recyclable. TGR is always looking for eco-conscious brands to work with.
The Local Box
$$ CAD GREEN
The Local Space in Langley, BC produces hundreds of local boxes monthly for special occasions, birthdays, realtor gifts and more. Every box is filled with products from local Canadian brands. You can pick from our pre-curated collections or request a custom made box. All of our boxes are customized to your budget to ensure that it is within reach of everybody.
- To ensure they are as eco-friendly as possible kraft boxes and stuffing are easily recyclable
the spark box
coming May 2020
The Spark Box is a quarterly Mama and Mini subscription box containing three months worth of products, age-appropriate activities, and learning resources.
The Spark Box was founded upon the desire to empower mamas by helping them understand and support baby’s developmental needs, as well as with the intention to support Canadian small businesses.
As a mama and a teacher, Mackenzie and Sara wanted to create something so special for families; boxes that are carefully and lovingly curated, as well as information and resources to guide parents throughout their child’s development.
- They have partnered with some of the leading global brands in children’s developmental toys, as well as a variety of local Canadian brands.
- Many products are manufactured in Canada while other from the leading brands are manufactured in Europe, China, and the USA.
- Understanding the environmental impact that a subscription box service can have in terms of packaging and materials recyclable materials are used as much as possible
the sprout collection
$$$$$ CAD GREEN
The Sprout Collection allows mamas to be to rent high-quality maternity clothing at an affordable price each month. In doing so, The Sprout Collective lets you build your dream closet without hassle or great expense and avoids fast fashion.
All of the below shops carry a variety of small shop brands from our list and more:
- Mike and Jojo Boutique
- Tiny Trendsetters
- Little Minimalist
- The Happy Baby
- Poplar & Birch
- Pingo Apparel
- Birchhill Studio
- The Local Space
- The Heart Cloverdale
- Active Baby
- Watermelon Tree
- Grey Owl Boutique
Ready for more? Head over to That Caffeinated Mom to for our favourite clothing, shoes, and accessory small shops head over to That Caffeinated Mom.
Well there you have it! Savannah and I hope you loved reading about some of our favourite small shops – maybe you found your own favourite?!
We want to know what brand YOU are most excited to try out! Hop over to Instagram and comment. Tag a friend and share the love!
That’s not all – stay tuned for more exciting news coming up from the two of us!