Want to help boost your child’s immune system each day? Make these elderberry gummies packed with immune system boosting ingredients.
Ah cold and flu season! The never ending test of the immune system of your family. Truth is, especially with kids in school and daycare, catching a cold is as definite as paying taxes. Rest assured momma, there are things you can do.
When Amelia got her first cold as a baby I thought I had clearly not eating enough of the right foods when I was pregnant to help her develop a strong immune system. Ask Arthur’s response! OK, he was sensitive to my mom guilt but he assured me that children will get sick and they will recover. Still, I feel like as a mom I want to do anything I can to prevent them from getting sick.
A few years back I listened to a webinar from Joy McCarthy of Joyous Health about Natural Ways to Boost your Immune System. I highly recommend grabbing a cup of tea and listening!
Two supplements Joy suggests for building a strong immune system are now a regular part of our routines: elderberry and vitamin D. Bingo! I’ve got your back, momma! You can combat cold and flu season with my Immune Boosting Elderberry Gummies and keep your little ones healthy.
What is it about these supplements that helps build your immune system?
In Joy’s webinar she shares that research shows elderberry “drastically reduce the duration and symptoms of a cold or prevent a cold from even starting” – amazing! Furthermore, she indicates that Vitamin D “helps the body identify and destroy bacteria and viruses” and is recommended to be taken daily.
Alright momma, there are immune boosting gummies on the market. So why make them homemade? Most gummies are loaded with sugar and other fillers so I prefer to use liquid vitamins when I can.
You can make your own elderberry syrup (so. much. cheaper.) but I had some on hand and couldn’t track down elderberries locally.
Lastly, get yourself a cute little silicone mold to make your gummies and your kids with eat them up.
Immune Boosting Elderberry Gummies
yields 24 small gummies
- ½ cup orange juice
- ½ cup elderberry syrup (or homemade elderberry syrup)*
- 1 inch chuck of fresh ginger
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 tbsp unflavoured gelatin
- Children’s Vitamin D Drops
- Silicone Candy Molds (I purchased them from the Bulk Barn)
- In a small saucepan combine orange juice and elderberry syrup
- Add a 1 inch chuck of fresh ginger
- Bring to a boil. Let simmer for 10 minutes
- Once done, remove the ginger and stir in gelatin. Set aside while prepping silicone molds.
- Coat silicone molds in coconut oil to prevent gummies from sticking
- Put the silicone molds on a baking sheet to keep from spilling
- Using a turkey baster drop enough elderberry mixture to fill mold to the top
- Add one drop of vitamin D to each mold
- Put baking sheet with silicone molds in the fridge for at least one hour
- Store in fridge and give one per day to children over the age of two (if using store bought syrup)